Welcome to the Chicago Metro History Fair – Where students become historians!
Read why History Fair Projects are different from other school assignments:
- Students may choose their own topic based on what's important to them that is related to Chicago or Illinois history.
- Students go to places outside the school to do research with actual sources and can interview scholars, experts, and participants or witnesses.
- Student decide on their own interpretations--they don't just "report back" what others have written.
- Student may choose how to present their historical arguments through real projects--just as real historians do: writing papers, producing a play or documentary, or building a website or exhibit.
- Students compete in public contests, and have the opportunity to advance to higher levels of competition in Springfield and Washington, D.C., win cash prizes, secure a college scholarship.
It's the real thing! That's why History Fair is so different than many school assignments!