|Congratulations! You have been selected to represent Illinois at the Kenneth E. Behring National History Day at the University of Maryland campus in College Park, Md., June 12-16, 2016. Selection to represent your state at the national contest is a great honor, and we congratulate you on your achievement. Below you will find documents that review important information you need to know in order to plan your trip to Nationals.
Here's what to expect at National History Day.
Pull out your smart phone and capture the excitement with History Fair online!
What to do before heading to NHD.
What to Expect @ National History Day
- Pizza Party Invitation - following the Welcome Ceremony, on Sunday at Hornbake Plaza (down the hill from the Stamp Student Union), about 7:15. It's "Ultimate Frisbee" Time too. (NO--not with the pizzas, silly, but our very own Team Illinois frisbees!)
- Support fellow students by attending performances and documentaries if you are on campus. It means a lot to see friendly faces in the audience. Wish the papers, websites, and exhibits "good luck" on the day they have their interviews.
- WASHINGTON NATIONALS GAME DISCOUNT – We are delighted to offer you a significant discount to attend the Washington Nationals baseball game on Wednesday, June 15, 2016. A $35 ticket ($55 Value) includes a lower level game ticket and $10 added value that can be spent on concessions and merchandise; a $16 Ticket ($27 Value) includes an upper level game ticket and $5 added value. The flier contains all of the details.
- All Illinois Team members are welcomed to join us in the Illinois dorm (t.b.a.) for the ice cream sundae/poster making party on June 15. 9pm, after the Smithsonian History Day Night or Washington Nationals-Chicago Cubs ball game. No ice cream til you make your poster!! :)
- Illinois Dorm Dwellers are in the ELKTON DORM. Participate in the Dorm-Door-Decorating Contest, and relax in the lounge with games and puzzles. All Illinois students are welcomed to join us for the Ice Cream Social - Poster-Making Party on Wednesday night.
- Judging and winners of the dorm door contest will be crowned at the party.
- TEAM ILLINOIS's block of seats at the Awards Ceremony on June 16, 8:30am-12noon, Sections 101c and 101e at the Xfinity Center. (See below for parking information.) Join the Parade of States at 8:30--it makes the Awards Ceremony fun and a great way to conclude your week's experience. Supporters at home can watch the ceremony streamed live from the NHD website. Students may pick up their evaluations after the ceremony.
- University of Maryland-College Park Map:
PARKING ON CAMPUS:
The University of Maryland has a complex system for parking on campus. To prevent receiving parking tickets, we ask that you understand and abide by all campus parking regulations. Parking regulations are strictly enforced by the University! National History Day will not be able to intervene on your behalf. The following information is provided to make you aware of the parking requirements on campus. Please carefully read and obey all signs.
Residence hall guests may request a summer guest parking permit when they check in to campus housing.
Commuters and spectators may pre-purchase daily or competition-long permits athttps://my.parkingsoft.com/umd. Representatives from the Department of Transportation Services will be available at registration during the following hours to assist with permit purchase and answer questions: Saturday, 2:00PM - 8:00PM and Sunday, 9:00AM - 8:00PM. Beginning Monday, guests should pre-purchase permits or park in designated visitor parking lots and pay the hourly/daily fee. Permits may be purchased at the Department of Transportation’s office in Regents Drive Garage during business hours, listed below.
For the Awards Ceremony only, you will be able to pay for parking, with a credit card, upon arrival to the parking lot. To save time, you may still pre-purchase a permit at https://my.parkingsoft.com/umd.
Join us for the NHD Prep Meeting
Newberry Library, 60 W. Walton, Chicago, IL
Tuesday, May 10, 5pm
Click here for more information.
Illinois students will be able to register beginning May 11. Review the registration handbook NOW and line up your materials, decide on lodging, etc.